NIGERIA: FG yet to pay us N88bn compensation — Biafra war victims

share on:

Post Biafra war victims have raised alarm after Nigerian government promised to compensate them with #88 billion, adding that they have not received anything since media claim.

According to report by Vanguard News, the civil war victims, Rivers state, Egobudike Monday Ogbowu and Ndu Pedro, on behalf of Biafra Civil Victims said they are yet to receive money from federal government.

“On behalf of BIAFRA Civil War soldiers from Rivers state who were granted pardon and were promised to be paid off by the President Mohammadu Buhari-led government to permanently end the case in ECOWAS Court, we want to state that we have not heard or received anything.

“Federal Government had as part of the terms of agreement, promised to effect the payment through Chukwukadibia & Co and Deminers Concept Nigeria Ltd, but up till now we have not gotten gotten anything and it is making us to wonder if the Federal Government and Chukwukadibia & Co and Deminers Concept Nigeria Ltd are playing politics with it?

ALSO READ   President Ramaphosa To Earn More Than Predecessor Jacob Zuma

“If they are not playing politics with us, we urge the Federal Government to come out open and tell us the situation of things and the reason behind the delay in the payment.”

Earlier in 30 October, 2017 agreed to release sum of #88 billion to Biafra Civil War victims before the Abuja ECOWAS court for the completion of demining and destruction of abandoned explosives within the South-East, South-South and North Central regions of the country.

Following the early report, the Federal Government had in the terms of agreement before the regional court, stressed that while N50billion compensation would be paid to “true victims” of the civil war that occurred between 1967 and 1970. It also said N38 billion would be paid to contractors for total and complete demining and destruction of abandoned bombs and landmines within the regions.

ALSO READ   Princess Eugenie’s royal wedding redefines beauty, charms audience - Daily News Egypt

The plaintiffs had in the suit they filed for themselves and as representatives of victims of the Nigerian civil war, including all the 493 victims pre-enumerated by the Ministry of Defence, demanded N100m as compensatory and general damages.

This decision was contained in a suit ECW/CCJ/APP/06/12, brought before the the ECOWAS court on May 2, 2012 by Vincent Agu and 19 other signatories against Federal government and five others.

The government had in an agreement it entered before the ECOWAS Court of Justice in Abuja, on October 30, 2017, said part of the fund would be used for the completion of demining and destruction of abandoned explosives within the South-East, South-South and North Central regions of the country.

Specifically, the Federal Government had in the terms of agreement before the regional court, stressed that while N50billion compensation would be paid to “true victims” of the civil war that occurred between 1967 and 1970. It also said N38 billion would be paid to contractors for total and complete demining and destruction of abandoned bombs and landmines within the regions.

ALSO READ   Nigerian Governor Swore Not To Allow 'Non-Indigene' Succeed Him In An Election

The decision followed a suit marked ECW/CCJ/APP/06/12, which was filed before the ECOWAS Court on May 2, 2012, by one Vincent Agu and 19 others against the Federal Government and five others.

Nigerian government agreed before the ECOWAS Court, pay the compensation within 45 days from the day the consent judgment was entered in the matter.

However, states to benefit from the #88 billion are Anambra, Imo, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Delta, Ebonyi, Cross River, Abia, Enugu and Benue.

According to report, efforts to get Ministry of Justice Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN, across for clarification was prove abortive as phone calls was neither picked nor returned.

Leave A Comment Below
share on: