Nigeria/March 25, 2019/Agency Reporter /No Comment/118 views /nigeria Anti-stall system likely activated in crash: Ethiopian Airlines CEO | The Guardian Nigeria News – Nigeria and World Newsshare on:FacebookTwitter Google +Pinterest Tumblr Linked InEmailSend to Email Address:Your NameYour Email AddressEmail check failed, please try againCancel FILE PHOTO: Ethiopian Airlines Chief Executive Officer Tewolde Gebremariam speaks during the ceremony as they resume flights to Eritrea’s capital Asmara at the Bole international airport in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia July 18, 2018. REUTERS/Tiksa Negeri/File Photo An anti-stall system believed to have caused a fatal October jet crash in Indonesia was probably also involved in this month’s crash of an Ethiopian Airlines plane that killed all 157 people onboard, the carrier’s CEO said on Monday. Tewolde GebreMariam told The Wall Street Journal an automatic anti-stalling system specific to the Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft was “to the best of our knowledge” activated on the fatal March 10 crash of Flight ET 302 minutes into its journey to Nairobi. ALSO READ Edo Assembly constitutes Transition CommitteeAlthough he is not a part of the official crash probe and gave no details on how he knew of the system’s activation, Tewolde’s comment adds pressure on Boeing to fix the popular aircraft model, which was grounded worldwide after the disaster. Ethiopia’s transport minister last week said “clear similarities” exist between the Ethiopian crash and the October crash of an Indonesian Lion Air jet which killed all 189 passengers and crew. Investigators in that case have honed in on the MCAS automated anti-stalling system designed to point the nose of the 737 MAX 8 downward if it is in danger of stalling, or losing lift. Boeing is expected this week to unveil a patch to the MCAS system, with the aim of getting the model back in the air. ALSO READ Ex-Super Eagles Coach, Christian Chukwu Seriously Sick, NFF, Enugu Govt, Others Pledge Support Confidence Tewolde’s comments to The Wall Street Journal came the same day as the CEO issued a statement saying the carrier “believes in” Boeing despite the crash. “Let me be clear: Ethiopian Airlines believes in Boeing. They have been a partner of ours for many years,” he wrote. “We will work with investigators in Ethiopia, in the US and elsewhere to figure out what went wrong,” Tewolde added. He also hit back at reports critical of Ethiopian’s safety record. The New York Times reported last week that the pilot of the doomed flight had not trained on a 737 MAX 8 simulator. “Contrary to some media reports, our pilots who fly the new model were trained on all appropriate simulators,” Tewolde said in the Monday statement. ALSO READ Nigeria election: Oba of Benin speaks on Buhari’s victory over Atiku, othersThe Washington Post also reported that the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) received two complaints about Ethiopian’s training and safety record in 2015, before the 737 MAX 8 was in use. Tewolde announced on Saturday the airline would sue both publications for “publishing baseless defamatory stories”, according to Ethiopia’s state-affiliated Fana Broadcasting Corporate. Ethiopian Airlines is Africa’s largest carrier and has had a long association with American aviation. Founded in 1945 with assistance from former American carrier Trans World Airlines (TWA), Boeing aircraft make up the majority of the Ethiopian fleet. Tewolde called for the 737 MAX 8’s grounding after the crash, but in the statement struck a conciliatory tone towards Boeing. “Despite the tragedy, Boeing and Ethiopian Airlines will continue to be linked well into the future,” he said. Leave A Comment Below Related Tags:nigeria share on: FacebookTwitter Google +Pinterest Tumblr Linked InEmailSend to Email Address:Your NameYour Email AddressEmail check failed, please try againCancel previous articleBlind man asks court to recover N350, transistor radio from repairer – Premium Times Nigerianext articleOsun Tribunal ruling: Oyetola is still the Governor and in-charge – SpeakerRelated Posts431 shares Nigeria/April 18, 2019 /No Comment Akpabio says INEC is disobeying court’s ordersNigeria/April 18, 2019 /No Comment UTME: 3 docked for double registration | The Guardian Nigeria News – Nigeria and World NewsEaster: FRSC begins special patrol in AnambraBBM to shut down May | The Guardian Nigeria News – Nigeria and World NewsLiverpool star Salah stars on Time magazine’s cover | The Guardian Nigeria News – Nigeria and World NewsMan remanded for allegedly stabbing father to deathAlleged Gang-rape: Court denies Babcock university student bail –Facebook confirms uploading 1.5 million users’ email contact without consent – Premium Times NigeriaBreaking: CCT convicts Onnoghen, sacks him as CJNCourt rejects SSS report on Magu as evidence – Premium Times Nigeria Leave a Response Cancel reply CommentName Email Sign me up for the newsletter! Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Notify me of new posts by email.