“We meet less than a year before the next presidential election,” said Mr. Guterres, stressing that the coming months will be an opportunity for Malians and their institutions to show their dedication to peace and the rule of law.
Noting that municipal elections in November last year were not held in all regions and suffered a low turnout, he encouraged the Malian authorities to ensure the success of the presidential election.
He added that numerous delays and slow implementation of critical provisions of the Agreement on Peace and Reconciliation in Mali are always a cause of concern, including the postponement of the review of the Constitution.
Delays in security sector reform related to the redeployment of the reformed and reconstituted Malian defence and security forces in the centre and north are also to be noted.
Mr. Guterres added that a number of achievements were recorded in recent months encompassing security, development, reductions in community violence, efforts to prevent the recruitment of youth.
“Yet the country’s achievements – that are remarkable – remain fragile, especially in light of the recent confrontations between armed groups and recurring attacks,” he went on. “Trust is being tested but we welcome the signature, earlier today, of a ceasefire agreement between the two signatory movements which also re-emphasizes their commitment to the implementation of the peace agreement.”
New institutions, processes and laws have yet to translate into significant improvements in the daily lives of Malians, the Secretary-General stated, adding that inclusivity, especially of women, youth and other under-represented social groups, remains insufficient, and constraints to humanitarian access persist.
“The window of opportunity for the Government to provide long-awaited peace dividends is slowly narrowing,” said Mr. Guterres.
The UN chief also urged the international community to ensure unity of purpose in financially and logistically supporting regional undertaking, such as the G5 Sahel Joint Force, to combat terrorism and transnational organized crime because, if successful, the Force can not only contribute to an enabling environment for the UN peacekeeping mission in Mali to fully implement its mandate but also advance progress in the Malian peace process.
But the most sustainable solution remains the strengthening of Mali’s own security architecture, Mr. Guterres said, stressing that the absence of a comprehensive strategy for security sector reform needs to be urgently addressed.
Mali – Breakthrough in Mali beheadings mystery
Mali investigators finally see breakthrough in murder mystery. Investigations into a string of beheadings in southern Mali that have shocked the Sahel nation have scored a breakthrough, judicial and police sources said on Monday. The beheadings, which have taken place in the cotton-growing town of Fana since 2018, have sparked fears of ritual killings among the local population.
Local prosecutor Boubacar Moussa Diarra announced that the main suspect has been arrested. The suspect is a 42-year-old unemployed Malian man with no fixed address. According to Diarra, the details provided by the suspect correspond to the nature of the murders.
A police official, who declined to be named, revealed that the suspect had been arrested a year ago but had only confessed last week to the grisly murders. The motive for the crimes has not been revealed by either the prosecutor or the police official.
The victims of the beheadings were a diverse group, including a former soldier, a housewife, a five-year-old albino child, and a two-year-old girl. In most cases, the victims’ heads were found but their blood had been collected, leading to fears of ritual killings and demands for a local police station, which were met in 2019.
The local authorities have urged caution regarding theories surrounding the killings and stress that the investigation is ongoing. Despite the recent breakthrough in the case, the exact motive behind the beheadings remains a mystery. The authorities have called for patience and cooperation from the public as they continue their efforts to uncover the truth behind these grisly crimes.
Investigations into the string of beheadings in southern Mali have been ongoing for several years, causing concern and fear among the local population. The brutal murders, which have taken place in the cotton-growing town of Fana, have been the subject of much speculation, with many theories circulating about the possible motives behind the crimes. The beheadings have been particularly shocking due to the nature of the crimes and the fact that the victims appeared to have nothing in common.
However, after several years of investigation, it appears that the authorities have finally made a breakthrough in the case. According to judicial and police sources, the main suspect in the beheadings has been arrested and is currently in custody. The suspect is a 42-year-old unemployed Malian man with no fixed address, who was arrested a year ago but only recently confessed to the crimes.
The local prosecutor, Boubacar Moussa Diarra, has confirmed that the details provided by the suspect correspond to the nature of the murders. However, neither the prosecutor nor the police have revealed the possible motive for the crimes. This has led to speculation about the reasons behind the beheadings, with many theories circulating about the possible motives behind the crimes.
The victims of the beheadings included a former soldier, a housewife, a five-year-old albino child, and a two-year-old girl, among others. In most cases, the heads of the victims were found, but their blood had been collected, leading to fears of ritual murders and demands for a local police station, which were finally met in 2019.
Despite the recent breakthrough in the case, the local authorities have urged caution regarding theories surrounding the killings and stressed that the investigation is ongoing. They are keen to ensure that the public is fully informed about the progress of the case and that the facts are carefully considered before any conclusions are drawn. The beheadings have had a profound impact on the local population, and the authorities are keen to bring closure to the case as soon as possible and provide justice for the victims and their families.
Angola, Mali, Nigeria and Sudan to recieve Russian attack, transport helicopters
Over the next year, Russian Helicopters will deliver Mi-8/17 transport and Mi-24/35 attack helicopters to Nigeria, Mali, Angola and Sudan.
This is according to Yury Demchenko, Rosoboronexport delegation head for the Africa Aerospace and Defence (AAD) exhibition, which took place at Air Force Base Waterkloof between 14 and 18 September.
He said that Russia exported helicopters to Angola, Sudan, Uganda and Rwanda over the last five years. “In 2016-2017, we plan to continue exporting these helicopters to Angola, Mali, Sudan, Nigeria. Our position in the African helicopter market is solid, so we are optimistic about the prospects of cultivating it further.”
Nigeria is set to receive 12 Mi-35M helicopters by 2018, according to Anatoly Punchuk, deputy head of Russia’s Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation. He told RIA Novosti that the helicopters were ordered in October 2015.
Demchenko said during AAD that he predicts further business from Africa, especially with regard to peacekeeping missions on the continent. He also sees the defence and security market growing due to terrorism, piracy, smuggling and trafficking.
“The share of Africa in the world export of weapons is relatively small. For instance sub-Saharan Africa accounts for about 2%, but the statistics of Russian weapons sales by Rosoboronexport in Africa showed steady growth for several years. A similar situation can be observed in northern Africa, where a number of countries in recent years considerably built up purchases of Russian weapons to have entered the list of our main partners in the sphere of military-technical cooperation.
“Besides, African states have been building up their participation in regional and international peacekeeping missions,” he said.
Rosoboronexport has an order backlog of more than $21 billion, Demchenko told IHS Jane’s during AAD. He added that the drop in oil prices has not affected exports to oil producing African nations.
The day before AAD, Russia and South Africa held the first bilateral seminar on defence industrial cooperation. Punchuk told TASS that “South Africa has a major industrial potential while Russia can offer a lot in the sphere of defence, security and law enforcement. We proposed long-term hi-tech cooperation.”
“We discussed what to begin with, i.e. various models of industrial cooperation, including financial aspects. We have high-tech platforms which can be integrated with existing South African systems or maybe even with future jointly created new technologies,” Punchuk said.
South Africa’s Secretary for Defence, Dr Sam Gulube, said he was enthusiastic and interested in defence industrial cooperation but cautioned that contracts would only come with time.
Mali – Health Sector Strike, Death Toll Rises Among The Poor
The health strike has cost the lives of dozens of people, mostly poor people who have not had access to minimum services. Contrary to the strikers’ allegations, on nights, there is no one to deal with emergencies. One can safely denounce the violation of the oath of Hippocrates. It is pure hypocrisy.
If the doctors are above all to respect the right to life of citizens, the government gives the impression of not being concerned about the fate of the Malians who fall today like flies. If not, why not strictly respect the minimum service, a trade union obligation?
And to say that the State even has the legal means of requisitioning. Poor of us who can not afford medical evacuations in Morocco, Tunisia and Europe
Expulsion Of Migrants Malians: Algiers Claims To Have Respected The Right
Information on deaths has not been confirmed from official Malian sources. The reappointment concerned “persons in an irregular situation” and “was decided as a measure of last resort” following “recurrent attacks on public order committed in several regions of the country and in particular in Algiers” The Algerian Ministry.
In the capital, “the acts of vandalism and physical unacceptable and unjustified attacks against volunteers of the Algerian Red Crescent” were committed by these migrants, said the ministry.
Algiers considered that his law enforcement agencies had shown “exemplary professionalism and coolness” to “contain the consequences of the minor but unfortunate incidents that occurred during the repatriation operation”.
In addition, Algeria continues “despite the unfavorable economic situation, to make considerable efforts in terms of taking care of many migrants who, like the Algerian citizens, benefit from free access to health services and Education “.
The forced repatriation of African migrants arriving by thousands in Algeria is frequent since neighboring Libya – hitherto a privileged starting point to cross the Mediterranean illegally – is in chaos. They are generally arrested in the large Mediterranean cities of the North and then conveyed by bus to a reception center in Tamanrasset (South) before being referred to their respective countries. writing
- Cameroon2 weeks ago
President Biya’s incapacity at US Africa Leaders Summit raises concerns in Cameroon
- Biafra3 weeks ago
MNK Speaks From Captivity Urges IPOB To Remain Resolute
- Nigeria2 weeks ago
Recent Surge In Violence In South East, A Political Ploy To Stop Peter Obi
- Ethiopia1 week ago
Devastation and destruction in Shewa Robit
- Nigeria1 week ago
Four Police officers charged with murder in Lagos protest
- Tunisia7 days ago
Tunisian Elections Records high level of abstention by electorate
- Eastern Africa3 weeks ago
Al-Shabab kills 7 soldiers in central Somalia attack
- South Africa3 weeks ago
South African politicians and business leaders demand government action to end power cuts